RankersAndRotters.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An unofficial fan forum for Dave Hause

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson

Go down 
+2
Susan
enola
6 posters
AuthorMessage
enola
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
enola

New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  Empty
PostSubject: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime05.12.14 1:39

Such a great song! Going straight to my heart with these lyrics. And perfectly framed musically.

Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime05.12.14 8:50

Perfect.

"Did this one get under your skin?"

YES!
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime05.12.14 12:32

The German Visions magazin about the song:  

Quote :
Dave Hause und Dave Sitek formieren musikalischen Protest gegen Polizeigewalt in den USA

http://www.visions.de/news/21788/Dave-Hause-und-Dave-Sitek-formieren-musikalischen-Protest-gegen-Polizeigewalt-in-den-USA

BurnYourEars Webzine also posted the video:

Quote :
DAVE HAUSE sendet musikalische Grüße aus Ferguson

http://www.burnyourears.de/news/41353-dave-hause-sendet-musikalische-grusse-aus-ferguson.html

And Dying Scene too:

Quote :
New Music: Dave Hause – “Seasons Greetings From Ferguson"

http://dyingscene.com/news/new-music-dave-hause-seasons-greetings-from-ferguson/
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime05.12.14 23:33

Alternative Press (AP):

Quote :
Dave House (Rise Records) speaks out on Ferguson with new song

http://www.altpress.com/news/entry/dave_house_rise_records_speaks_out_on_ferguson_with_new_song

todopunk:

Quote :
Dave Hause
Escucha un nuevo tema

http://www.todopunk.com/contenido/noticias/5138/dave-hause-escucha-un-nuevo-tema.html

New Noise Magazin:

Quote :
Dave Hause Posts “Seasons Greetings From Ferguson” Lyric Video

http://newnoisemagazine.com/dave-hause-posts-seasons-ferguson-lyric-video/

Last edited by Susan on 06.12.14 13:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
XNYCEMTP
Fighting Back
Fighting Back
XNYCEMTP

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime06.12.14 3:05

Oh, boy...I have lots of feelings about this one. I think I need to sleep on it before making any comments. Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://instagram.com/smb601#
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime06.12.14 13:28

lyrics (taken from Dave´s Instagram http://instagram.com/p/wQC9juDr1H/?modal=true):

Did this one get under your skin?
Seasons Greetings from Ferguson
Did you see the shape his momma was in?
When you can’t build you burn can you call that a sin?
From an ivory tower I hear the critique
about how they should respond “they should protest in peace”
But to admonish don’t you already have to believe
in a system that would intervene on behalf of a few not for a greedy machine?

Thank god it didn’t happen to me
I can watch from by Black Friday discount TV
So let’s carve up the bird and give thanks
that they won’t come for us cause we paid for the tanks

I wonder as we’re all making our feast
and we watch what they’ll do to the ones with the least
is trusting cops like trusting a priest?
you look to get saved but get fucked or get fleeced?

they’d do to you they’d do to me they do to us what they did to them
Back to top Go down
mti1974
Fighting Back
Fighting Back
mti1974

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime06.12.14 14:43

My first reaction was: "Wow, he nailed it."
I think it's very powerful. It gave me goosebumps.

To one of the reactions on youtube he wrote:
"It will be up for download in about 2 weeks. I'll post about it when that happens. We are working out how to get some of the money (when it goes up for sale) to the Ferguson Library."
Good for him!
Back to top Go down
http://mariatillema.wordpress.com/2013/11/20/dave-hause-strikes-
XNYCEMTP
Fighting Back
Fighting Back
XNYCEMTP

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime06.12.14 16:09

Susan wrote:
lyrics (taken from Dave´s Instagram http://instagram.com/p/wQC9juDr1H/?modal=true):

Having been in the public safety field for 17 years, I think I'll just say that I enjoyed the song but respectfully disagree with Dave's interpretation of the events in Ferguson.
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime06.12.14 17:09

XNYCEMTP wrote:
Susan wrote:

Having been in the public safety field for 17 years, I think I'll just say that I enjoyed the song but respectfully disagree with Dave's interpretation of the events in Ferguson.

You´re not the only one. I read some very critical and biting comments on Dave´s facebook page. Well, he wrote a song about his feelings and one point of view. There is always another, different one when you´re not writing just meaningless lovesongs. I guess he has to deal with the critique now.
Back to top Go down
XNYCEMTP
Fighting Back
Fighting Back
XNYCEMTP

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime06.12.14 17:42

Susan wrote:

You´re not the only one. I read some very critical and biting comments on Dave´s facebook page. Well, he wrote a song about his feelings and one point of view. There is always another, different one when you´re not writing just meaningless lovesongs. I guess he has to deal with the critique now.

Don't get me wrong, I completely respect him for having the guts to write a song about such a controversial issue. This case is a big deal in the states and shortly after Ferguson, there was a case in New York where another white police officer was not indicted in the death of an unarmed black man. So two similar cases coming one right after another has resulted in a lot of mistrust of the police in America and protests all over the country.

It is absolutely a tragedy that these two individuals died but there is a great deal to these cases that goes unreported by the media or is "swung" in the direction that the news wants people to hear or believe.
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime06.12.14 19:30

XNYCEMTP wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I completely respect him for having the guts to write a song about such a controversial issue. This case is a big deal in the states and shortly after Ferguson, there was a case in New York where another white police officer was not indicted in the death of an unarmed black man. So two similar cases coming one right after another has resulted in a lot of mistrust of the police in America and protests all over the country.

It´s in the news over here too, but not that much. To be honest I don´t know enough about this topic to have a basis for a qualified discussion. But I know one thing for sure: There must be justice.  

XNYCEMTP wrote:

It is absolutely a tragedy that these two individuals died but there is a great deal to these cases that goes unreported by the media or is "swung" in the direction that the news wants people to hear or believe.

This reminds me of a brilliant Banksy tweet a few weeks ago:

"Don't let media define the way you see things."

New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  Banksy10

https://twitter.com/thereaIbanksy/status/525004505063378944
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime21.12.14 15:04

Live premiere yesterday in New Brunswick!

Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
Fighting Back
Fighting Back
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime23.12.14 10:12

Before he played this song, he mentioned that this may be the only time he plays it live because it's the most appropriate time to play it (or something to that effect). He could of course change his mind down the road but I figured I'd mention it.
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime23.12.14 11:22

StitchesOnTheRadio wrote:
Before he played this song, he mentioned that this may be the only time he plays it live because it's the most appropriate time to play it (or something to that effect). He could of course change his mind down the road but I figured I'd mention it.

Oh no! What a shame! This song is too good to be unplayed. I was so looking forward to hear it with a large crowd singing along... Sad
Back to top Go down
mti1974
Fighting Back
Fighting Back
mti1974

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime23.12.14 16:29

Susan wrote:

Oh no! What a shame! This song is too good to be unplayed. I was so looking forward to hear it with a large crowd singing along... Sad
Agreed, what a shame. And I also don't think he's right. Springsteen wrote a song 'American Skin (41 Shots)' after the police shot Amadou Diallo (this happened in 1999). There's still relevance to that song (unfortunately) and he still plays it in concert.

Let's hope he changes his mind about it. But first of all: let's hope he starts touring soon again Wink
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
Fighting Back
Fighting Back
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime23.12.14 22:16

mti1974 wrote:
Susan wrote:

Agreed, what a shame. And I also don't think he's right. Springsteen wrote a song 'American Skin (41 Shots)' after the police shot Amadou Diallo (this happened in 1999). There's still relevance to that song (unfortunately) and he still plays it in concert.

Let's hope he changes his mind about it. But first of all: let's hope he starts touring soon again Wink

Honestly, I'd feel really weird about it if a large crowd sang along to this song. Maybe because it's too real. People don't really sing along to American Skin (41 Shots) either in my experience and I think it's better that way.

But I agree, it'll still be relevant later, I think he was just saying it has the most significance right now.
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime24.12.14 0:39

I can't see why it is weird to sing along to a protest/political song if I agree with the message. That's what those songs are written for. Get the lyrics, think about it and shout it out loud.

And the message doesn't get old. U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday is still relevant - 31 years after its release and 42 years after this bloody sunday in 1972.
Back to top Go down
mti1974
Fighting Back
Fighting Back
mti1974

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime25.12.14 12:13

Susan wrote:
I can't see why it is weird to sing along to a protest/political song if I agree with the message. That's what those songs are written for. Get the lyrics, think about it and shout it out loud.

And the message doesn't get old. U2's Sunday Bloody Sunday is still relevant - 31 years after its release and 42 years after this bloody sunday in 1972.
I totally agree.
But: if people don't want to sing along, they don't. I happen to do sing along, especially to songs like American Skin (41 shots), Sunday bloody Sunday. But to each their own.
Back to top Go down
JerseyChris
Fighting Back
Fighting Back
JerseyChris

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime26.12.14 19:56

Video dave playing season greetings from Ferguson
http://fergusonaction.com/seasons-greetings/

edit by Susan
The link above is dead, but the video is still on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/fergusonaction
Back to top Go down
StitchesOnTheRadio
Fighting Back
Fighting Back
StitchesOnTheRadio

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime27.12.14 7:25

mti1974 wrote:
Susan wrote:

I totally agree.
But: if people don't want to sing along, they don't. I happen to do sing along, especially to songs like American Skin (41 shots), Sunday bloody Sunday. But to each their own.

I guess it depends on what type of singing along it is? This is all my personal opinion but it just feels weird to me unless it's like kind of a quieter singing along. You mentioning the whole crowd singing along kind of put a weird image in my head of hundreds of people almost joyfully singing along (not that they would be feeling joyful). I guess I also just personally either quietly mouth the words to songs like this or not at all, because it's kind of too real and specific and I'd rather stand in silent reflection on something that didn't happen to me, but was a very real thing that happened to a fellow human being, rather than singing along like this is my song too (which is how I feel when I sing along to songs that speak to my own experiences). I tried writing out an explanation of what I mean but I don't know how to do so without being misinterpreted. I guess that, while I do support most of what Dave speaks about in the song, singing along just feels weird to me.

If you wanna sing along to it, go for it. I do not judge anyone for that and I can understand why others would view that as the best way to support the ideas in the song. It's just my own personal feeling on the subject.
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime29.12.14 0:28

mti1974 wrote:
Susan wrote:

I totally agree.

I guess it depends on what type of singing along it is? This is all my personal opinion but it just feels weird to me unless it's like kind of a quieter singing along. You mentioning the whole crowd singing along kind of put a weird image in my head of hundreds of people almost joyfully singing along (not that they would be feeling joyful). I guess I also just personally either quietly mouth the words to songs like this or not at all, because it's kind of too real and specific and I'd rather stand in silent reflection on something that didn't happen to me, but was a very real thing that happened to a fellow human being, rather than singing along like this is my song too (which is how I feel when I sing along to songs that speak to my own experiences). I tried writing out an explanation of what I mean but I don't know how to do so without being misinterpreted. I guess that, while I do support most of what Dave speaks about in the song, singing along just feels weird to me.

If you wanna sing along to it, go for it. I do not judge anyone for that and I can understand why others would view that as the best way to support the ideas in the song. It's just my own personal feeling on the subject.

We are all different. And we are all equal. This is excatly what it´s all about!
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime04.01.15 13:41

Here´s a video of the full song on tumblr, incl. Dave´s speech before:

Dave Hause 20 Dec 2014 at The Court Tavern in New Brunswick  … http://tmblr.co/ZUzZnx1YYviJ-
Back to top Go down
Susan
Vampire Squid
Vampire Squid
Susan

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime30.03.17 17:41

Season´s Greetings From Ferguson is now available for download on the benefit compilation "Music For Everyone" along with many other great songs!

More info and download:

https://musicforeveryone.bandcamp.com/album/music-for-everyone
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson    New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New song: Seasons Greetings from Ferguson
Page 1 of 1